12/3/09

Shoreland Zoning--where rubber meets the road

Hearings for proposed changes to shoreland zoning rules have generated a lot of controversy.  So I thought I'd share experience from a pond in Cape Cod--Hawksnest Pond.


Hawksnest Pond in Massachusetts--still pristine

We should start a "Sister Lakes" organization, because the two lakes have a lot to teach one another.  Lake Mendota has slipped a long way down that road towards senility (eutrophication), while Hawksnest is still young and pristine.  So Hawksnest can teach us what pure water is like, and how to get there.

Hawksnest is so pure you can see right to the bottom from a canoe.  When I was a kid living on its shore, I could drink the water as I swam.  And yet it was warm enough for comfortable swimming.  You'd come back from a swim cleaner than you went in.  The bottom is sandy, not mucky--there are no weeds to tangle your legs.    That's why I'm a crusader for water quality.  I've experienced pure water, and I can't forget what it's like.


Shore vegetation and sandy soil filter water going into Hawksnest

And what does Lake Mendota have to teach Hawksnest?  Sadly, it's a warning.  People who visit Hawksnest are oblivious to its rare value, take it for granted, and are hell-bent on abusing till it becomes just like Lake Mendota.

If Hawksnest could give some sisterly advice to Mendota, she would say:  "Look at my shore.  Everywhere it's clothed in vegetation.  Not a drop of rainwater gets into my body--unless if falls on my face, or flows through the ground, or flows through my "skin" of shoreland plants.  I need my shoreland zone.  Puncture that, and I'll start to die."

That's why we need to support updating of DNR's shoreland zoning rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on the article above, or on other watershed issues.