Today I received an email advertising "Safe Step Sure Paws Ice Melt from Ace Hardware." The ad says...
*Safe for pets and skin, non- irritating
*Safe on lawns, shrubs and vegetation
*Safe for the environment."
Salt has killed the shrubs in Ace's own parking lot.
The truth about this deicer
- No Salt? It's about half common salt (sodium chloride) and half magnesium chloride. Both are considered salts.
- Safe on plants? The two salts are known to degrade soil and kill many plants in your yard. Just look at the sidewalks near shopping centers and schools (photo below). You'll see a strip of dead grass on either side.
- Safe for the environment? Both contain chloride, which is increasing every year in our lakes and drinking water. Chloride is known to be lethal to fish and the small things they eat--though some species are more sensitive than others.
- Non-irritating? The data sheet for this product says: " Caution. Eye and skin irritant." Symptoms may include redness, edema, drying, defatting, and cracking of the skin. Symptoms of overexposure may be headache, dizziness, tiredness, nausea, and vomiting.
- Safe for pets? We've all seen our pets licking their feet after they come in from a walk.
The final insult
The third ingredient, glucopyranoside, may be present up to 1%. This also may be an eye and skin irritant, and harmful to aquatic life. "The toxicity of this substance has not been fully investigated."
Get free ice-melting instead